The South Rises Again with New Menu at The Southern Gentleman
December 01, 2015
Atlanta Food News
Now that Matthew Ridgway has made his mark as the executive chef of The Southern Gentleman, the Buckhead gastropub known for its simple yet sophisticated take on regional cuisine, he is ready to introduce his contemporary interpretation of Southern fare to the menu. Ridgway is simply not a fan of heavy fried food or kitschy fare, so his seasonal offerings are filled with local meats and produce and prepared with a light touch. The new lunch and dinner menus are now available at The Southern Gentleman.
"It’s critical for a restaurant to continue evolving, and I think we're exactly where we need to be right now as we add fresh new flavors to our menu,” Ridgway says. “There's such a rich diversity of produce grown here - like Gold Rush apples, which are a personal favorite. We have incorporated them into our pork cochon and just can't get enough of their distinctively rich taste."
At lunch, he’s hoping people will be eager to taste the new Dixie bacon carbonara with turnip greens and thick spaghetti. “We’ve replaced pancetta with our house-made bacon, which is cured with blackstrap molasses, black pepper and brown sugar for two weeks before being smoked over hickory. It brings incredible balance to the dish.”
Ridgway found inspiration in tastes that pair well with a chilly fall or winter evening. “One of my favorite new evening dishes is the braised beef cheek,” Ridgway says. “It’s braised in red wine and spices and topped with Creole mustard. Given the fermentation process involved, the shaved Brussels sprouts and apple salad is almost like a kimchi slaw.”
Of course, some traditions are not meant to be tampered with, such as the chicken-fried chicken salad sandwich, a lunchtime favorite. Still, Ridgway and his team believes guests will be delighted with newcomers like field pea hummus, which can be found alongside house-made farmer cheese on griddled benne seed toast.
Other examples from the new menus include the following:
· Italian burrata, grilled broccoli spears, red onion, spicy peanuts, salsify and egg dressing
· Chicken liver & pork terrine with heirloom apple beignets
· Boston Bibb lettuce salad, pickled shrimp, red onion, green goddess dressing
· Country ham Reuben, Edwards prosciutto cotto, Brussels sprout slaw, Creole mustard
· Roasted winter squash salad, petite arugula, Georgia pecans, onion vinaigrette
· Crisped Heritage pork belly, marinated dried plums, sherry vinegar, Kentucky bourbon barrel soy
· “Chicken-fried” sweetbreads, house-made Parker rolls, parmesan shaker cheese, house-made hot sauce
· Braised Cheekstone Farm beef cheeks, bread dumplings, pickled Brussels sprout salad, red wine-black pepper jus
· Riverview pork cochon, baked Gold Rush apples, brown butter cabbage, warmed torpedo shallots, sherry vinegar sauce
· Roasted heirloom carrots with sorghum and sumac
· Charred okra with ginger, shallots and garlic
· Salt-and-pepper corn fritters
The Southern Gentleman is located at 3035 Peachtree Road NE in The Shops Buckhead Atlanta. Lunch is served daily from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Dinner hours are Sunday – Wednesday from 5 to 10 p.m. and Thursday – Saturday from 5 to 11 p.m. Reservations can be made online or by calling 404-939-9845. Valet parking is available. To learn more, visit thesoutherngentlemanatl.com, Facebook
Twitter and Instagram.
About Southern Proper Hospitality
Southern Proper Hospitality is an entrepreneurial organization that values innovation, creativity and attention to detail. The mission of the team of industry leading professionals is to help shape the cultural fabric of Atlanta. Southern Proper provides a “short term escape” for diners by creating unique and distinct dining experiences that appeal to customers’ sense of adventure. Each restaurant offers a high energy, fun and entertaining atmosphere coupled with genuinely hospitable service and exceptional, high quality food.
Link to full article here.